Wong's Nursing Care of Infants and Children, 12th Edition
Provide quality nursing care through each stage of child development! Wong’s Nursing Care of Infants and Children, 12th Edition uses an easy-to-follow, family-centered approach to describe the care of children at each age and stage of development. The book begins with a discussion of the influences on and assessment of child health, then provides chapters on child health promotion and health problems — all organized by age groups and body systems. Up-to-date, evidence-based information helps you develop critical thinking skills along with the sensitivity needed to become a compassionate, caring pediatric nurse. Written by a team of experts led by Marilyn J. Hockenberry, Wong’s continues to be the leading text in pediatric nursing.
New to this edition
- NEW! Updated content reflects the objectives of Healthy People 2030, and updates and revisions are made to each chapter.
- NEW! New Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style questions are included in all chapters to promote critical thinking.
- NEW! NGN-style unfolding case studies replace nursing care plans in disease-focused chapters.
- NEW! More information on emerging viruses includes the latest evidence on COVID-19 in children.
- NEW! Updated immunization content is included in the Infectious Diseases chapter.
- NEW! More information on mental health issues of the school-age child is added.
- NEW! More information on vaping and smoking covers their impact on adolescents.
- NEW! More information on preventing obesity is included, as well as updates on hypertension guidelines and other chronic diseases of childhood.
- NEW! Updated figures and illustrations better reflect the diversity of families.
- Focus on family-centered care emphasizes the role and influence of the family in child health and illness with a separate chapter and Family-Centered Care boxes.
- Full-color drawings and photographs reflect the latest in nursing care.
- Nursing Care Guidelines boxes offer clear, step-by-step instructions for interventions in a variety of situations and conditions, and Nursing Care Plan boxes included expected patient outcomes and rationales for nursing interventions.
- Nursing Tips include helpful hints and practical, clinical information.
- Translating Evidence into Practice and Applying Evidence to Practice boxes help you apply research to improve the outcomes of nursing care.
- Atraumatic Care boxes contain techniques for care that manage pain, discomfort, or stress, along with approaches to promote self-esteem and prevent embarrassment.
- Emergency Treatment boxes serve as a quick reference for interventions in critical situations.
- Cultural Considerations and Cultural Competence content provides tips from clinical experts.
- Community and Home Health Considerations boxes address issues such as increasing immunization rates, decreasing smoking among teens, and preventing lead poisoning.
- Drug Alerts highlight important drug-related information for safe, appropriate care.
- Nursing Alerts call out critical considerations such as key assessment data, risk factors, and danger signs that must be considered in providing care.
- Research Focus boxes emphasize research with concise reviews of important evidence.