Practical Guide to the Evaluation of Clinical Competence, 2nd Edition
Designed to help medical educators implement better assessment methods, tools, and models directly into training programs, Practical Guide to the Evaluation of Clinical Competence, 2nd Edition, by Drs. Eric S. Holmboe, Steven J. Durning, and Richard E. Hawkins, is a hands-on, authoritative guide to outcomes-based assessment in clinical education. National and international experts present an organized, multifaceted approach and a diverse combination of methods to help you perform effective assessments. This thoroughly revised edition is a valuable resource for developing, implementing, and sustaining effective systems for evaluating clinical competence in medical school, residency, and fellowship programs.
New to this edition
- New chapters on high-quality assessment of clinical reasoning and assessment of procedural competence, as well as a new chapter on practical approaches to feedback.
- Reorganized for ease of use, with expanded coverage of Milestones/Entrustable Professional Assessments (EPAs), cognitive assessment techniques, work-based procedural assessments, and frameworks.
- The expert editorial team, renowned leaders in assessment, is joined by global leader in medical education and clinical reasoning, Dr. Steven Durning.
- New Expert Consult material includes videos of medical interviewing scenarios and downloadable assessment tools.
- Each chapter provides practical suggestions and assessment models that can be implemented directly into training programs, tools that can be used to measure clinical performance, overviews of key educational theories, and strengths and weaknesses of every method.
- Guidelines that apply across the medical education spectrum allow you to implement the book’s methods in any educational situation.
- Expert Consult™ eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, videos, and references from the book on a variety of devices.