Learn how to influence policy and become a leader in today's changing health care environment. Featuring analysis of cutting-edge healthcare issues and first-person insights, Policy & Politics in Nursing and Health Care, 8th Edition continues to be the leading text on nursing action and activism. Approximately 150 expert contributors present a wide range of topics in policies and politics, providing a more complete background than can be found in any other policy textbook on the market. This expanded 8th edition helps you develop a global understanding of nursing leadership and political activism, as well as the complex business and financial issues that drive many actions in the health system. Discussions include the latest updates on conflict management, health economics, lobbying, the use of media, and working with communities for change. With these innovative insights and strategies, you will be prepared to play a leadership role in the four spheres in which nurses are politically active: the workplace, government, professional organizations, and the community.
New to this edition
- NEW! The latest information and perspectives are provided by nursing leaders who influenced health care reform, including the Affordable Care Act.
- NEW! Added information on medical marijuana presents both sides of this ongoing debate.
- NEW! More information on health care policy and the aging population covers the most up-do-date information on this growing population.
- NEW! Expanded information on the Globalization of Nursing explores international policies and procedures related to nursing around the world.
- NEW! Expanded focus on media strategies details proper etiquette when speaking with the press.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of primary care models and issues throughout text.
- NEW! APRN and additional Taking Action chapters reflect the most recent industry changes.
- NEW! Perspectives on issues and challenges in the government sphere showcase recent strategies and complications.
By Diana J. Mason, PhD, RN, FAAN, Senior Policy Service Professor, Center for Health Policy and Media Engagement, George Washington University School of Nursing
Programme Director, International Council of Nurses, Global Nursing Leadership Institute,Professor Emerita,Hunter College, City University of New York,New York, New York; Adrianna Perez, PhD, CRNP, ANP-BC, FAAN, FGSA, Associate Professor of Nursing,Senior Fellow, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics,University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,Claire M. Fagin Hall; Monica R. McLemore, RN, MPH, PhD, Associate Professor, Family Health Care Nursing; Clinician-Scientist, Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH), University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California and Elizabeth Dickson, MSN, PHN, RN, Assistant Professor,College of Nursing,University of New Mexico,Albuquerque, New Mexico,MS09 5350, 1 University of New Mexico