Neuroscience Nursing, 3rd Edition
New to this edition
- Includes new content addressing the multidisciplinary neuroscience team approach for evidence-based delivery of care for neuroscience patents.
- UNIQUE! Includes a Mayo Clinic Illustrated FOUR Score Assessment Card inserted into Chapter 6, Altered States of Consciousness and Sleep.
- Features new chapters on Aneurysms, Inflammatory Demyelinating Diseases, and Management of Dementia and Motor Neuron Disease that cover the most current information with input from expert contributors on these complex problems.
- UNIQUE! Includes the Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Neuroscience Nursing Multiple Day Flowsheet as an expert source of information.
- Explores the latest techniques and procedures for neurological surgery, as well as recent rehabilitation research for stroke and spine.
- UNIQUE! Features the most up-to-date guidelines covering the spectrum of traumatic brain injury, spinal injury, and stroke, including the Stroke Risk Screening Tool (Courtesy of Neuroscience Nursing Consultants).
- Covers the new weapon to combat stroke: the Merci Retriever.
- Includes cutting-edge content on PRIALT for intrathecal drug delivery (ITDD) for severe pain and additional updates on additional pain management using the ITDD system.
- Provides a foundation of neuroanatomy, normal physiology, assessment, and neurodiagnostic studies essential to understanding neurologic disorders.
- Correlates neuroanatomy with the patient's clinical presentation.
- Covers basic and advanced neuroassessment and documentation for effective and improved communication with the clinical team.
- Builds a knowledge base of required skills for the necessary close observation and monitoring of the neuroscience patient to prevent complications and achieve the best outcomes.
- Presents a comprehensive review of common neuroscience disorders and conditions for quick reference enhanced with current interventions by nursing experts.
- Emphasizes care alerts and tips designed to produce the best clinical results.
- Highlights key words in bold type and defines them within the text for greater clarity and understanding.
- Includes separate chapters focusing on individual neurologic disorders with detailed descriptions from pathophysiology to in-depth analysis.
- Stresses the nurse's role including: assessment, critical thinking and problem solving, collaborative team building, and patient and family education.
- Describes appropriate care for each disorder from critical and acute care through post-acute care, neurorehabilitation, case management, and home health care.