Mosby's Textbook for Medication Assistants, 2nd Edition
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to safely administer medications! Mosby's Textbook for Medication Assistants, 2nd Edition covers the principles and techniques of drug administration for common drugs and over-the-counter medications. It addresses topics such as basic pharmacology, the effect of drugs on body systems, delegation and lifespan considerations, ethics and laws, and math skills for accurate dosage calculation. Written by Karen Anderson, this text is a complete guide to the medication assistant’s role, function, and scope of practice.
New to this edition
- NEW! Updated drug content includes current brand names, dosages, effects, and side effects.
- NEW Infection Prevention chapter is added.
- NEW! Full-color drawings and photos are updated to illustrate key concepts and techniques.
- NEW! Updated and simplified coverage of disease helps you understand how and when drugs are used to treat different diseases.
- NEW! NCLEX® review questions are now available on the Evolve companion website.
- Step-by-step procedures are divided into manageable segments, with instructions for each skill.
- Clear, easy-to-read writing style makes it easy to understand what you’ve read.
- Documentation reporting and recording is discussed for each drug.
- Focus on Communication boxes suggest what to say and questions to ask when interacting with patients, residents, family, and nursing staff.
- Focus on Older Person boxes provide age-specific considerations when administering drugs to older patients.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes highlight safe guidelines for administering drugs.
- Delegation Guidelines call out the information the aide should obtain from the nurse and the care plan for delegated tasks.
- Chapter Review Questions at the end of each chapter help you evaluate your comprehension.
- Arithmetic Review in the appendix covers the basic math skills you need for calculating and checking medication dosages.
- Key Terms are defined at the beginning of each chapter to help you understand key terminology.