Midwifery Essentials: Perinatal Mental Health, 1st Edition
With up to 20% of women developing a mental health problem during pregnancy or within a year of giving birth, Perinatal Mental Health provides the UK’s first practical guide aimed specifically at the midwives who care for them.
The book combines clinical and theoretical approaches to midwifery practice, and takes a holistic, women-centred approach to care. All aspects of perinatal mental health are covered comprehensively, including birth, support for fathers, social and cultural factors, the parent/infant relationship, and midwifery care for trans/masculine, and non-binary people.
Written through a unique collaboration between experienced midwives, academics and perinatal mental health experts, this text contains all the key information needed by midwives and student midwives who may encounter women in need of mental health support during pregnancy and beyond.
- Practical guidance to help with the difficult conversations.
- Strategies to enhance psychological support for women with mental health conditions.
- Patient scenarios to encourage debate and reflection.
- Aligns with Nursing & Midwifery Council Standards.
- Case studies and references to national and international guidelines throughout to link theory with practice.
- Succinct and easy to follow text to help readers master the core issues with confidence.