Merenstein & Gardner's Handbook of Neonatal Intensive Care, 9th Edition
Co-authored by an interprofessional collaborative team of physicians and nurses, Merenstein & Gardner’s Handbook of Neonatal Intensive Care, 9th Edition is the leading resource for interprofessional, collaborative care of critically ill newborns. It offers comprehensive coverage with a unique interprofessional collaborative approach and a real-world perspective that make it a practical guide for both nurses and physicians. The new ninth edition features a wealth of expanded content on delivery-room care; new evidence-based care "bundles"; palliative care in the NICU; interprofessional collaborative care of parents with depression, grief, and complicated grief; and new pain assessment tools. Updated high-quality references have also been reintegrated into the book, making it easier for clinicians to locate research evidence and standards of care with minimal effort. These additions, along with updates throughout, ensure that clinicians are equipped with the very latest clinical care guidelines and practice recommendations — all in a practical quick-reference format for easy retrieval and review.
New to this edition
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the latest evidence-based practice, national and international guidelines, and current protocols for interprofessional collaborative practice in the NICU.
- NEW! Up-to-date, high-quality references are now reintegrated into the text for quick retrieval, making it easier for clinicians to locate research evidence and standards of care with minimal effort.
- NEW! Expanded content on delivery-room care includes the impact of staffing on quality of care, delayed cord clamping, resuscitation, and more.
- NEW! Coverage of the new evidence-based care "bundles" keeps clinicians up to date on new guidelines that have demonstrated improved outcomes of very preterm infants.
- NEW! Coverage of new pain assessment tools equips NICU providers with essential resources for maintaining patient comfort.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of palliative care in the NICU provides the tools needed to ensure patient comfort.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of interprofessional collaborative care of parents with depression, grief, and complicated grief prepares clinicians for this essential area of practice.
- UNIQUE! Core author team of two physicians and two nurses gives this internationally recognized reference a true interprofessional collaborative approach that is unmatched by any other resource.
- Consistent organization within clinical chapters include Physiology/Pathophysiology, Etiology, Prevention, Data Collection (History, Signs and Symptoms, and Laboratory Data), Treatment/Intervention, Complications, and Parent Teaching sections.
- UNIQUE! Color-highlighted point-of-care clinical content makes high-priority clinical content quick and easy to find.
- UNIQUE! Parent Teaching boxes outline the relevant information to be shared with a patient’s caregivers.
- Critical Findings boxes outline symptoms and diagnostic findings that require immediate attention to help the provider prioritize assessment data and steps in initial care.
- Case studies demonstrate how to apply essential content to realistic clinical scenarios for application-based learning.