Krause and Mahan’s Food and the Nutrition Care Process, 16th Edition
Provide optimal nutritional care with the latest guidelines to evidence-based practice! Krause and Mahan’s Food & the Nutrition Care Process, 16th Edition provides an all-in-one resource for the dietetics information you need to care for patients throughout the entire life cycle. With insight from clinical specialists, the book guides you through the steps of assessment, diagnosis and intervention, monitoring, and evaluation. It also covers nutrition in each stage of life, weight management, medical nutrition therapies for conditions and disorders, and the use of nutrition therapies in childhood. From a team of nutrition experts led by Janice L. Raymond and Kelly Morrow, this classic text has been trusted by nurses, nutritionists, and dieticians for since 1952.
New to this edition
- NEW Infectious Diseases chapter is written by a new author with specific expertise in infectious disease.
- NEW Transgender Nutrition chapter is added, from two new authors.
- NEW! COVID-19 updates are provided in multiple chapters, each relating to epidemiology and patient care.
- NEW! Information on the FODMAP diet is included in the appendix, covering the sugars that may cause intestinal distress.
- NEW! Emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion is included in all chapters.
- NEW! Updated International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) information is included in the appendix.
- NEW! Updated pregnancy growth charts are added to this edition.
- NEW! Updated Healthy People 2030 information is added throughout the book.
- UNIQUE! Pathophysiology algorithms and flow charts present the cause, pathophysiology, and medical nutrition management for a variety of disorders and conditions to help you understand illness and provide optimal nutritional care.
- Clinical case studies help you translate academic knowledge into practical patient care using a framework of the nutrition care process.
- Sample Nutrition Diagnosis boxes present a problem, its etiology, and its signs and symptoms, then conclude with a nutrition diagnosis, providing scenarios you may encounter in practice.
- Clinical Insight boxes expand on information in the text, highlight new areas of focus, and contain information on studies and clinical resources.
- New Directions boxes suggest areas for further research by spotlighting emerging areas of interest in nutrition care.
- Focus On boxes provide thought-provoking information on key nutrition concepts.
- Summary boxes highlight CRISPR, the Indigenous food movement, hearing assessment, health disparities, and the Health At Every Size movement, and include a tribute to Dr. George Blackburn, a respected specialist in obesity and nutrition.
- Key terms are listed at the beginning of each chapter and bolded within the text.