Introduction to Maternity and Pediatric Nursing, 9th Edition
Build the knowledge and clinical judgment you need to succeed in maternity and pediatric nursing! Written in a clear, easy-to-read style, Introduction to Maternity and Pediatric Nursing, 9th Edition describes how you can provide effective, evidence-based care for women during pregnancy, labor, and delivery, and for newborns and growing children. The text spans the continuum of child development, organizing topics from simple to complex and from health to illness; this approach makes it easy to locate information. Another hallmark of the book is its strong focus on family-centered care, health promotion, and illness prevention. Written by noted nursing educator Gloria Leifer, this bestselling text includes new Next-Generation NCLEX® exam-style case studies plus updates on infection control, pandemic responses, and more.
New to this edition
- NEW! Next-Generation NCLEX® examination-style case studies include new-format questions to help you prepare for the licensure examination.
- NEW! Discussion of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model helps you learn decision making and develop the skills needed to plan effective nursing interventions.
- NEW! Thorough updates include infection control, pandemic responses, pharmacologic tables, and pediatric treatments.
- Unfolding case studies follow one family through the conception and birth process, and include open-ended critical thinking questions applying the content to practice.
- More than 25 nursing care plans include nursing diagnoses plus goals, nursing interventions, and rationales, along with critical thinking questions to promote clinical decision-making skills.
- Detailed nursing skills cover a wide range of maternal and pediatric nursing interventions.
- Safety alerts highlight the importance of protecting patients and others from accidents, medication errors, and the spread of disease.
- Nursing tips include practical, evidence-based information applicable in the clinical setting.
- Nursing guidelines reflect the World Health Organization’s Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative, alternative therapies, immunization mandates, emergency preparedness, preventing medication errors, and more.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! at the end of each chapter includes a summary of key points, additional online resources, review questions, and critical thinking questions.
- Cultural Considerations boxes help you address the needs of culturally diverse patients and families.
- Patient Teaching boxes help you communicate instructions for self-care with patients and families.
- Medication tables provide quick access to information about commonly used medications.