Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 9th Edition
Build the nursing knowledge and skills you need to care for patients of all ages! Combining two leading LPN/LVN textbooks into one volume, Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 9th Edition covers the fundamental skills and medical-surgical content essential to providing quality care for patients across the lifespan, including pediatric, maternity, adult, and older adult patients. Case studies provide practice with critical thinking and clinical judgment, and new Next Generation NCLEX®-format questions help you apply theory to practice. Written by nursing educators Kim Cooper and Kelly Gosnell, this text also helps you prepare for success on the NCLEX-PN® examination.
New to this edition
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® case studies and new format questions help you prepare for success on the NCLEX-PN® examination.
- NEW! Discussion of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model helps you develop the skills needed to plan effective nursing interventions.
- NEW! Updated Asepsis and Infection Control chapter prepares you for today’s healthcare environment.
- NEW! Updated Immune Disorder and HIV/AIDS chapters highlight the newest medical and drug therapies.
- NEW! Updated photos and illustrations show nursing techniques, procedures, and patient care.
- Step-by-step instructions for more than 100 skills show clearly defined nursing actions along with the rationales for each.
- Clear, easy-to-understand coverage of skills across the lifespan includes maternity, pediatrics, adults, and older adults.
- The nursing process is applied to the discussion of disorders, and is summarized at the end of each chapter.
- Nursing care plans use a case-study format to emphasize patient goals and outcomes, and include critical thinking questions at the end of each care plan.
- Overview of Anatomy and Physiology begins each body systems chapter, and the Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter provides a clear, basic understanding of the A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
- Complete mathematics review covers basic arithmetic skills and dosage calculation, followed by a discussion of medication administration including IV therapy.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes provide synopses of research articles that apply to nursing, along with nursing implications for the LPN/LVN.
- Safety Alert! boxes cover issues related to safe patient care in a variety of settings.
- Coordinated Care boxes promote comprehensive patient care with other members of the health care team, focusing on prioritization, assignment, supervision, collaboration, delegation, and leadership topics.
- Lifespan Considerations boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the patient.
- Older Adult Considerations boxes provide information on the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
- Communication boxes illustrate communication strategies through real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Patient Teaching boxes focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members, and include topics such as hospital discharge instructions.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Medication tables provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination sections provide key points, review questions, and critical thinking activities to reinforce learning.