Assessment and Multimodal Management of Pain, 1st Edition
Learn best practices and evidence-based guidelines for assessing and managing pain! Assessment and Multimodal Management of Pain: An Integrative Approach describes how to provide effective management of pain through the use of multiple medications and techniques, including both pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment regimens. A holistic approach provides an in-depth understanding of pain and includes practical assessment tools along with coverage of opioid and non-opioid analgesics, interventional and herbal approaches to pain, and much more. Written by experts Maureen F. Cooney and Ann Quinlan-Colwell, this reference is a complete, step-by-step guide to contemporary pain assessment and management.
Evidence-based, practical guidance helps students learn to plan and implement pain management, and aligns with current guidelines and best practices.
- Comprehensive information on the pharmacologic management of pain includes nonopioid analgesics, opioid analgesics, and co-analgesics, including dose titration, routes of administration, and prevention of side effects.
- UNIQUE! Multimodal approach for pain management is explored throughout the book, as it affects assessment, the physiologic experience, and the culturally determined expression, acknowledgement, and management of pain.
- UNIQUE! Holistic, integrative approach includes thorough coverage of pain management with non-pharmacologic methods.
- Clinical scenarios are cited to illustrate key points.
- Equivalent analgesic action for common pain medications provides readers with useful guidance relating to medication selection.
- Pain-rating scales in over 20 languages are included in the appendix for improved patient/clinician communication and accurate pain assessment.
- UNIQUE! Authors Maureen F. Cooney and Ann Quinlan-Colwell are two of the foremost authorities in multimodal pain assessment and management.
- Sample forms, guidelines, protocols, and other hands-on tools are included, and may be reproduced for use in the classroom or clinical setting.